Thursday 6 January 2011

Thinking out loud... Dropping my degree?

For the last few days I've been thinking about dropping my degree and restarting a new one. My current degree title is Film Studies and Media & Cultural Studies (it's a joint BA).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE studying film. LOVE. I'm not that fond of the cultural part though... I find it a bit boring to be honest.

Anyway, I kind of jumped into this degree. I was made redundant in June of 2009 and applied through UCAS clearing. Having studied film and media at college... It was kind of a safe bet for me. I knew I didn't want to go back to full time work (because I only ever planned on working for a year and then going back to uni anyway), I knew that being made redundant was a sign and a kick up the butt I needed... If I didn't return to education then, I probably never would have. I applied for this degree because I knew I would enjoy it and be able to cope with it. Like I said, safe bet although I didn't know how it could help me find a job post grad.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a teacher (I even did work experience in a primary school). About 6 months into my degree I looked into it and found out that I could use my degree as a stepping stone onto another course that would qualify me as a teacher. So that's been the plan ever since.

I've now found out that it's actually two courses (one for the qualified teacher status and the other to teach me the basics for teaching primary school kids). This adds another two years, another two institutes, another two years of arguing with student finance (and actually... I'm not sure if I'll be able to get financial help with one of the courses)

So it got me thinking... I could just do a degree in three years which teaches me all of that and qualifies me as a teacher at the same time. Although this degree has substantially higher requirements to be accepted on the course. And I'd need to do work experience before I apply... Which is doable.
I just think it would be better and more convenient in the long run to switch courses now. It'd still take the same amount of time. And the two years of studying film and media haven't really been wasted... I mean time spent enjoying yourself isn't time wasted, is it?

I don't know. I need to speak to my university when I go back. Too confusing to think about.

/end of boring babble

7 comments:

  1. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. Short Notice movers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lewabo is an online inspirational movies streaming website. An entertainment platform for the whole family. Local and international movies, Action, thrillers, Romance, Christian movies, Nigerian movies, African American movies, African movies, Nollywood films, Enjoy hundreds of inspiring, uplifting, positive family-friendly movies. Subscribe now at Nollywood movies

    ReplyDelete